Monday, April 5, 2010

(Day 95) The first of many (I hope)

A couple of years ago I planted a number of crocuses in the front lawn, hoping they'd give us that early spring colour before the grass started growing. I did all the right things when I planted them and eagerly awaited their showy arrival the first spring. Only a few bloomed so I thought the rest might need a year to grow first. Well, the second year was worse than the first and this year I don't even know if any came up. :-(

But I had totally forgotten that I had planted a few in a bit of a remote spot in one of the flower beds, and these seemed to have survived whatever the other ones didn't. So I can officially call these our first spring flowers. Now that we've broken the ice, so to speak, with these, I hope you don't mind if I post more (different varieties, of course) as they make their appearance.

(70-200mm  f4  1/60 sec  ISO400)

12 comments:

Julia said...

Nice flower! I am so excited to see all the new blooms this year!! Where did you find that one?

darlin said...

Beautiful crocuses, now that I see these I remember what I was going to look for at the farm! OOPS... next road trip! My bulbs haven't sprouted as of yet but I'm keeping the faith, I too did all the right things, or am hoping I did!

I'm looking forward to seeing your flowers Rick. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

are you sure you planted them right :)

Rick said...

@Julia - thank you. I found these almost buried under the leaves in the peanut-shaped flower bed

Rick said...

@darlin - you'd better make that road trip pretty soon - crocuses don't last too long (assuming they're up yet there). Thanks and you also have a good one!

Rick said...

@anonymous - ha ha (good one!); got any tips ? ;)

imac said...

Beautiful spring colour that you have captured.

Rick said...

@imac - thank you. Spring is a fabulous time of the year!

Katherine said...

So pretty Rick... worth the wait for the perfect photo. Look forward to seeing more!

Rick said...

@Katherine - thank you; I also look forward to seeing more :)

joey said...

How lovely, Rick, and a sure sign of spring!

Rick said...

@joey - thank you; hope you're enjoying spring as much!