Saturday, September 25, 2010

(Day 252) No room to spare

Thursday Sept. 9, 2010

After 6 days on the beautiful island of Rhodes, we're certainly no experts on Greek habits. But I think I can make some observations on their driving habits, since we now have 6 days' experience with that. Life may be running a little slower than in North America, but you wouldn't know it on the roads. Speed limits are treated like guidelines - for tourists that is; Greeks seem to ignore them altogether. Passing can be done wherever there's a foot or two to spare, or perhaps not - this may be the reason there are lots of small roadside shrines to those who departed this world while behind the wheel.

Village streets were obviously not laid out with autos, buses, or trucks in mind. Streets that we would consider 'tight' in North America, are 2-lane roads with locals barely slowing as they pass each other, and with cars parked willy-nilly. A tourist is quickly spotted under these circumstances. Today's photo shows the village of Archangelos, site of another medieval fortress. In the apparent jumble of houses and other buildings, streets run in all directions - space is at a premium but is well-utilized.

(18-55mm  f11  1/400 sec  ISO200)

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I'm sure a wonderful place to visit. Something that I hope to one day experience. But living in such close proximity to my neighbours for ever, not sure I would like this arrangement. I really do like a little space. Fabulous photo Rick.

Rick said...

@Katherine - I'm with you on the space thing - I need elbow room. But there's something to be said for the neighbourliness close proximity brings, and they've lived this way for generations.