Saturday, September 25, 2010

(Day 266) Friends, Rhodians, countrymen ...

Thursday Sept. 23, 2010

... lend me your ears. Well, the geography might be a bit off, and the quote is paraphrased but perhaps similar words were spoken here, or similar plays acted out. This beautiful amphitheatre is on a hilltop in Rhodes town called Monte Smith (I didn't have much internet access so haven't been able to google it yet). The 26 rows of seats appear to be marble. We had to visit this, and the nearby ancient acropolis on our last full day on Rhodes. It was stunning, and my mind tried to imagine what things might have been like those many hundreds, or thousands, of years ago as I walked in places where people had also walked so long ago.

(10 - 22mm  f11  1/320 sec  ISO100)

6 comments:

Scott Law said...

Looks like you have been having a beautiful trip. I'm so jealous. Your photos are awesome, it makes not being there that much more painful. Keep up the good work and continue to have a good time. I'll look forward to more of your beautiful photos of the places you get to go.

Rick said...

@Scott - it was absolutely fantastic Scott; if you're ever planning a trip, Rhodes would not disappoint. Thank you for your kind words - we're back as of early Sat. morning and I've updated my daily posts so I'm current again. Now to get around to other blogs again ...

Carolyn Ford said...

Ancient places like this are amazing...to think this was a busy arena so long ago and SO well preserved...incredible!

becky said...

When I am visiting places, I often wonder about the people that walked there before me...

Rick said...

@Carolyn Ford - it truly was amazing to stand in such a place - and we were almost the only ones there, as you can see - no other tourists in the photo.

Rick said...

@becky - if you close your eyes you can almost see and hear the hustle and bustle that must have been taking place ...