Monday, January 24, 2011

Cordaline in bloom

The subtropics are playing havoc with my sense of timing in the plant world. Back home (Canada) I know that absolutely nothing flowers outdoors in the winter time. Flowering time is confined to spring, summer, and fall. Plants have to race against the calendar to grow, flower, get pollinated, and produce seed. But down here I have no idea what to expect. Hibiscus seem to bloom whenever they feel like it, and I've already shown you all the little 'weed' flowers in the lawn. We bought a couple of jasmine plants before Christmas and one of them bloomed just after we returned. Our neighbours have all sorts of flowering plants, but there are lots of other plants that aren't flowering. yet.

I noticed that some of the cordaline plants out front had 'flowers' in them. Now I must confess that I had to go look that name up again from last June when I had posted a photo of its foliage (thanks to Katherine who came up with the name then). It's much more famous for its bright pink/red leaves than its 'blooms'. I'll keep an eye on other plants growing around here and reset my (very limited) knowledge base.

(60mm  f4.5  1/8 sec  ISO100)


21 comments:

darlin said...

Rick this is so pretty, it's awesome to see color again!

Romantik Seelchen said...

lieber Rick, ja wie schön etwas Vorfreude auf den Frühling, hier im Land gibt es nur Dunkelheit, Kälte und nichts Blühendes,
bei Kathrin Blog sah ich dieses schreckliche Hochwasser, da geht es nur noch um Überleben und die Seele ist voll Trauer, ich hoffe diese Zeiten werden von den Menschen wieder mit viel Kraft und Hoffnung überwunden,
mit herzlichen Grüßen Jasmin

Anonymous said...

So beautiful.
I have a bromeliad in my room and it's great to go out in the cold, then come in and sit by it. It's like a fireplace ; )

magda said...

Beautiful photo !! Like a dream ....

becky said...

Beautiful. The colors make me think of Valentine's day!

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that your macro flower shots are some of my favorites! I love love love this color... it's gorgeous!!! =)

marty said...

tout va bien ?? la vie est belle ??? c'est le printemps !! les couleurs de cette fleur me vont droit au coeur ! c'est magnifique ! la vie en rose et les bisous aussi Rick

imac said...

Colourful Rick.
Have you 2 homes then?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very interesting Macro, amazing that the dominant tones are red and magenta, but the eye of the observer can still differentiate the tones and the depth of field. Amazing lens ;-)

Who said that the background color must be different from that of the object in the foreground?

Great job, Rick!

Greetz,


Joseph

Soraia said...

Pretty :D

Michelle said...

A great vibrant color in this shot!

Teté M. Jorge said...

That hot pink! Beautiful!
I think your knowledge about plants is going very well. As far as your wondering.
A special beijo for a special friend!
Or rather, how you:
"Muitos beijos e obrigado por sua amizade". :))

Rick said...

Thanks Darlene; but you have ALL that white to look at ;-)

Gutentag Jasmin - I feel lucky to be here where there's always something in bloom. But spring will arrive again this year - we can always count on that ! And yes, much sorrow and hard work in Australia. Thank you for stopping by Jasmin !

Thanks Very. I know what you mean and I think that's why people (esp. in winter climates) have plants indoors.

Rick said...

Thank you Magda !

Thanks Becky (darn, my timing's off again) ;-)

Thank you Tricia; it was a struggle due to the breeze. Patience and a tripod really helped ;-)

Marty - oui, la vie est très bonne ! I'm not sure they have spring here because winter is like nothing I've experienced. Bisous pour tu coeur !

Rick said...

Stewart - thank you. Yes, with the collapse of real estate in the US, there was an opportunity and we took advantage.

Thanks Joseph ! Yes, I really like this lens and try to get it out occasionally - it'll open up to f2.8. I find that a narrow dof really helps draw attention to the subject and allows a wider range of backgrounds than otherwise possible.

Soraia - thank you for your visits !

Rick said...

Farmchick - thank you !

Thank you teca - I appreciate that muito ! And send many beijos to you !

Anonymous said...

marvellous ;)

Rick said...

Thank you Maria !

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I like the close-up and the softness of this photo. Great composition!

Rick said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting Jeanne.