Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sans artificial light

I may have mentioned a little while ago that I got a (paid) photography assignment via the business where my son works designing custom kitchens and bathrooms. They needed to update their portfolio for use in sales and marketing and wanted someone to shoot some of the work they had done over the past few years. I was a little leery about taking this on since I have zero/zilch lighting equipment and it's close to impossible to get exposures correct indoors with bright outside light streaming in through the windows, without lighting up the interior. To make a long story short I did more research into HDR (High Dynamic Range) software - around the same time Scott and Karen were experimenting with HDR - and trialed a product called Photomatix, which allows you to blend multiple exposures into an HDR image.

Now, after about a week of using it to blend the many interior exposures I made doing the assignments, I'm far from an expert. There are a lot of options to experiment with and I have a lot more to learn. I have been able to produce images though where the interior is exposed properly and you can also see a properly exposed view out of the window.

But - all of this preamble was just to say that while I was out at the harbour this evening looking to shoot a sunset, it dawned on me (no pun intended) that I should try shooting multiple exposures and blend them with Photomatix.

Here's the result.

(shot with a 18-55mm lens at f8.0, ISO200 and shutter speeds ranging from 10 to 30 sec)

Oh, and I didn't forget about Sunset Sunday either. If you click on the shot you'll notice snow in the foreground - no, not in Florida - I shot this the week before we came down here.

(70-200mm  f32  30 sec  ISO200)

25 comments:

Scott Law said...

Really nice job on both of these Rick. I love the reflections on your HDR.

darlin said...

Rick, the first photo has me wanting to quit what my major is and study photography! This is an unbelievable, amazing, stunning photo. I can't wait to get the time to learn HDR, the results are fantastic! Awesome job of blending. And quit teasing me, I'm patiently waiting to see the kitchen! :-)

I knew as soon as I seen the second shot that there was no way that was taken in Florida. It is a beautiful Canadian sunset shot wonderfully.

Have a fantastic week!

S. Etole said...

this is are both really beautiful ...

Carolyn Ford said...

I have the Photomatix too, but, haven't used it in quite some time! You have inspired me to get some multiple shots and get into HDR again! I like how your image is NOT over-done with the tone-mapping! Excellent, Rick!

ju-north said...

These are excellent - hope your work is very successful!

magda said...

Hi Rick,
It is my honor, to a professional photographer enjoyed my photos
Thank you very much.
Your blog is wonderful, I am glad to see that !!
Best regards
Magda from Greece

marty said...

both images are really wonderful ! the reflections are amazing ! quelle lumière,
quelles couleurs ! j'adore !
Golden bisous Rick ! have a lovely and
warm week !

Leovi said...

Simeria with great reflexes and a wonderful light. Ah, I see you've changed the name to the blog.

Unknown said...

The first photo is amazing, I really enjoy your photos Rick :-)

Greetz,


Joseph

Michelle said...

Both photos are great, but the first one is spectacular.

imac said...

Gee, that 1st shot is amazing Rick.

Anonymous said...

That first shot is great! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

I have Photomatix, but I've never been able to get the pics to turn out right... there's always too much contrast... I just don't understand how to do it, I guess. I love the HDR effect though, it just brightens everything up so much... that is, when I see others HDR pics, not mine! heheheee

Unknown said...

By the way, I used to use PHOTOMATIX until I discovered HDR EFEX PRO from NIK SOFTWARE, you can download a free trial and hook it to Photoshop or Lightroom and experiment a bit :-)

Greetz,


Joseph

Soraia said...

I love your photos! :D
Beautiful

Michelle said...

Again...I'm in awe! You capture color and light in such a bold, dramatic way. Amazing!

Rick said...

Thank you Scott; it took a lot of experimenting this past week with my photo assignment - I like the possibilities and will have to try it again in future.

Ha ha - I've thought lately that if I could do it all over again I'd take up photography as a career too; but it's very enjoyable as a hobby. Thanks for your very kind words Darlene. I hope you have a great week too !!

Thank you kindly Susan !

Rick said...

Thanks Carolyn - yes I saw how things could really be blown out using Photomatix and I shied away from that. Give HDR another whirl - I'd look forward to your shots.

Thank you Julia; I'm waiting on the client with bated breath !

Magda - thank you for your visit and very nice comment; I enjoyed your last series very much too !

Rick said...

Marty - merci so much ! I think one of the reasons photography is so enjoyable is because the possibilities are limitless; I wish you a wonderful week and send you sunny bisous from Florida !

Thank you Leovi. Yes, name change and I hope you like it.

Thank you Joseph; you are one of the fellow bloggers who inspire me !

Rick said...

Thank you Farmchick - I was happy it turned out; sometimes with HDR it can be a crapshoot.

Thanks Stewart !

I appreciate your visit and nice comment Avery !

Thanks Tricia; give it another go - I'm no expert but I did an intense week of work with Photomatix for my assignment - I wasn't entirely pleased with the early results but I started to learn a few things; lots of options to try.

Rick said...

Thanks Joseph - I had a cursory look at EFEX PRO but was pressed for time and I'd already done some work with Photomatix. I did read some reviews on both and it was tough to choose. Perhaps in the future ...

And I appreciate your visits and supportive comments Soraia !

Thank you for stopping by Michelle, and your very nice comments !

What Karen Sees said...

Well, Rick, you certainly are a quick learner!!! I'm lovin' your HDR shots. I think they are spectacular!!! Anxious to see more!

Rick said...

Thank you very much Karen; I spent an intense week working with Photomatix on the interior shoots I did - still have a ways to go but I like what HDR can do. I too look forward to trying some more.

Anonymous said...

I've been familiar with HDRI since last year and it's an awesome photography technic. I tried Photomatix too and a friend of mine gave me a version of it for my birthday.

I think the first shot is awesomely done! By the way, I'm happy to hear you got a paid job.. Keep up the good work.

Rick said...

Thank you M. This was my first attempt at HDR other than using it for interior shots. I'll be experimenting more with it. Good luck with your new gear and the move back home.