Thursday, March 18, 2010

(Day 76) Soft, furry, and early

No - not another puzzle. Today's subject took me back to the days of my youth (yep, again) - back to memories of springs gone by.

Since we lived in the country, there were swamps (as we called them back then - today's pc word is 'wetlands') and you could always find pussy willows growing in or near them. I recall that they were one of the very early signs of life in the spring, and I would always break off some twigs and take them home where my mother would put them in a vase. Once the buds were fully developed they would fall off and be replaced by leaves, and lo and behold, most of the twigs would have also developed roots. Being a 'budding' gardener (yeah, I know - bad pun), I would take them to some spot and plant them. I think I was the Johnny Appleseed of pussy willows.

Well, I happen to have 2 of them growing near the house (no, I didn't plant these but they weren't there either when we moved here) and as you can see, they're heralding the onset of spring. Happy days are here again ... !

(60mm  f4  15 sec  ISO400)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great memory to stumble upon.

I remember Pussy Willows from my 'youth' ;) I used to ask my grandmother what they were when I would find them, and I remember smiling when she would say "Pussy Willow".
Very, very cool picture, nice pun, and I still like to say 'the swamps':)

Did you take the picture at night with flash, or with a black background?

['รด ] Avery

Rick said...

Thanks Avery (also for putting up with my pun :). On your question - neither; I took the shot in my 'studio' - aka the kitchen, no flash, just a long exposure with all the lights off except a small light from behind.

Unknown said...

Very nice DoF and colors! Congratulations for the result!

Rick said...

@Daniel - thank you.

lizzynash said...

Love this! Great detail, lighting, and dof...

Rick said...

@liz - thank you.

Scott Law said...

Nice job on this. I have fond memories of the pussy willow bushes in our yard too. Haven't seen any for years and frankly had pretty much forgotten about them. Nice work on these! I checked over your posts for the past several days and you are keeping up a great tradition in your pics.

Rick said...

@Scott - thanks for your comments Scott - much appreciated. Glad I was able to rekindle a memory.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed by the last shot a lot. Happy to see spring on your part of the world. Looks like we're having spring very soon too.

Rick said...

@M - thank you. I'll look forward to seeing some of your spring photos soon.

darlin said...

I too love pussy willows, wonderful shot of them Rick. I have to make a point of getting out in the country when the dust settles here and get me some country photos... I'm just hoping that I get some spring ones in!

Rick said...

@darlin - thank you. These are from a bush growing near our house - I cut some off, put them in a vase and shot them indoors. Good luck getting the dust 'settled' :)