Sunday, January 30, 2011

$2 sunset

Yep, that's what it cost me to go out late this afternoon and get a parking spot so I could shoot a sunset. You see, you can't park anywhere for free at Fort Myers Beach, and since it's a 30 minute drive from where we live, walking wasn't very practical either. Not that I minded, really, because if there was no fee I'm sure I wouldn't have got close to the place. So I plunked a bunch of quarters into the machine and got on the beach as the display began. And you know the thing with sunsets - they just keep on getting better as time goes on. I had to keep an eye on the time though because the machine only let me pay for an hour - and we found out a few weeks ago that there's not even a 5 minute grace period before they slap you with a $40 ticket (with a $15 discount if you pay it quick).

As time was expiring, per my watch, I hustled back down the beach, casting furtive glances behind me at the darkening sky. Although I did succumb twice and stop to make just a couple more photos, I didn't want to tempt fate. My timing was good  - no ticket, and several Sundays' worth of sunset shots.

Oh, and this isn't a contest between 2 photos - I just wanted to show what a difference 20 minutes makes (look at the fishing lines in the first photo though).

(both photos made with a 70-200mm lens at f14 - 1/200 sec and f13 - 1/125 sec and ISO200)

click on photos to enlarge
17:49

18:10
 
For more Sunset Sunday shots, have a look at Scott's blog.

23 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is some intense color in the second photo.
Ruth

Rick said...

I should have added that these are SOOC shots ! Thanks Ruth !

Michelle said...

A seriously gorgeous photo.

Scott Law said...

I'm definitely a fan of the second one. Nice work.

darlin said...

Rick I LOVE the color in the second shot, the wait was worth it! And now please refresh my memory (I'm reading critical thinking and it's getting hard to think about much else other than thinking.. if that made any sense!lol) what is SOOC? This is so awesome, do you remember the Highlight magazines from when we were children? The spot the differences in them if you do remember Highlight, that's what I was just doing with these two shots! :-) K back to critical thinking... have a great day!

Rick said...

Thank you Farmchick (it was a seriously gorgeous evening ! ;-)

Scott - thank you.

Thanks Darlene (ps - I didn't wait; I kept shooting most of the time in between). SOOC = Straight Out Ofthe Camera i.e. no editing. Ha ha - I always played those games too. Good luck with the critical thinking !

Dawn said...

Well...even if you WOULD have gotten a parking ticket....it would have been worth the picture! For us anyway;))
Absolutely stunning!
Like the fishing lines standing tall waiting for the sunset as well as a fish:)

Carolyn Ford said...

That second shot is dynamite, Rick!

Lisa said...

Love the second one. . Guess what Its -30C here. Your not missing a thing. Loved your blog and Thanks .
Catch up mid March.

Unknown said...

2nd photo is beautiful, I like the yacht ;-)
Tell me about furtive glances . . . ;-)

Greetz,


Joseph

marty said...

quels merveilleux couchers de soleil, tout en or!
quel pays magique !!
ils mettent des contraventions toute la nuit ??
ici au moins à 18 h. les fonctionnaires ont fini
leur travail ! trop fatigués!
mais chez toi il y a le beau coucher de soleil et
ça se paye !!
bisous en or Rick

Leovi said...

Very nice two, but I keep the backlight color more pronounced and the second strongest

Cat said...

Simply amazing! I love your blog and I'm so glad you decided to continue after your 365 challenge!

magda said...

Beautiful sunset-photos Rick !!!!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

You are so right--just a few minutes makes such a difference in sunset shots. I'm glad you told us about the fishing lines; I enlarged the photo to see the faint glimmers--amazing!

Soraia said...

Amazing sunset :D

Rick said...

Thanks Dawn (I just hate 'throwing' money away !). The pier was about 1/2 mile away - I used my 70-200mm plus a 2x extender.

Thank you Carolyn !

That's really cold Lisa. Thanks. Enjoy your trip - see you in March.

Thanks Joseph ! Just think about Lot's wife - and you'll know about furtive glances ;-)

Rick said...

Merci Marty - oui, the officials here can write tickets 7x24 - no rest when there are $$ to be made :( But yes, the sunsets here are glorious !

Thank you Leovi.

Thanks Cat - I couldn't simply give it up, and leave all my blogger friends ! It's like having daily conversations with so many gifted people.

Rick said...

Thank you very much Magda !

Glad you noticed Jeanne - I hadn't seen it myself till I enlarged it too ! Thank you.

Thanks Soraia !

Bitch said...

I cannot really decide which from your sunset
photos I prefer..
Well, maybe the second!
And thinking of, that you were running out of
time.
Thank you for sharing!
Monika

Rick said...

Thanks for dropping by Monika, and your nice comment !

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it was very worth it!
Wow...the paying early "grace fee" is a pretty nice thing to have!
So much can happen in 20 minutes when it comes to nature. And you've proved that!

Rick said...

Thank you Avery (I'd rather not have had the ticket at all ;-)